Saturday, May 14, 2011

Pellet time!

I feed my birds one small pellet meal per day. I found that unlimited access to pellets led to Tonka not eating her veggie mash, and Perry is pretty much always on a diet due to slight pudginess.
I feed a mixture of pellets- about 50% Harrison's Pepper Coarse. The remaining 50% is mostly Goldenfeast Golden'obles, with a small amount of Caitec's new Oven Fresh Bakes. And yes, I DO make them forage for the pellets. I wrap them in paper! Every week or two, I will take an hour or so in front of the tv with a good show on (I recommend Dr. Who! lol). Each pellet gets wrapped into a little twist of paper. I put each bird's daily meals into little paper cups, for easy feeding. Each day, I grab each bird's cup for the day. If I am in a hurry, I will pour the wrapped pellets into a bowl. Sometimes I will dump the whole cup with pellets still in it into abowl, or skewer the cup and hang in the cage!







Violet the cockatiel eats all the same pellets as the "big" guys, just smaller versions. I will NOT be wrapping those teeny things in paper. I will probably end up covering her pellets with shredded paper, so she has to forage through the shreds. She gets her small daily seed allotment this way, and has great fun. Pics will come in another post. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment