Sunday, May 22, 2011

It's Mash Making Day!

It's been two days since I ran out of veggie mash! Oh no! It's ok, the birds have been eating cookable foods from higgins, goldenfeast, and homemade quinoa mixes. All of which they love. :)

When I make my "mash" it is 100% veggies and leafy greens. Seperately, I cook big pots of whole grains, beans and spices and I freeze seperately. This makes the veggie mash part is easy- no measuring to make sure you have grains/beans/veggies in balance! Just add in whatever you've got.


I admit I don't always go completely organic. I DO try my best to follow the "clean fifteen" and "dirty dozen" lists. But when I can, I like to shop at local farmer's markets. Great variety, local farmers and organic! Today I went all out.

From the farmer's market: Kohlrabi, Broccoli, Orange Cauliflower, Carrots, Yellow Squash, sweet Purple Peppers, Yellow Tomatoes, Okra, Serrano Peppers, red chard, mint


From the grocery store: Butternut squash, ginger, also garlic


The supplements I am adding (it often changes): red palm oil, chia seeds, avi-greens



I put everything through thr food preocessor very finely. This way there is no picking through for just what they want! Any winter squashes or sweet potato I steam or microwave till very soft.


All mixed up with supplements added:


There was a stowaway  from the market!!


I usually freeze in ice cube trays and then thaw one cube of veggies and one cube of frozen bean/grain mix and stir together. Then I can vary the meals- adding straight veggie mash to scrambled eggs or oatmeal, etc. But even though my birds are similiar sizes, they eat varying amounts. So I am experimenting with using these cute little teeny tupperwear containers instead of ice cube trays. Each one should last three days I think, maybe four? We'll have to see how it goes!Don't hesitant to ask any questions- I will do my best to askwer them. :)



I vary the veggies and leafy greens and fresh herb each time, but almost always include carrots, broccoli, some sort of sweet and/or spicy pepper, sweet potato or winter squash, garlic and ginger. Carrots are always a favorite, as is okra and all types of peppers from super sweet to scary spicy. My birds are NOT good about eating leafy greens (well, Tonka will eat them but not Perry or Violet) so I put lots in every mash- I think they are very important! The nice thing about mash, my birds eat it with anything added. Once they are accustomed to the mash concept, you can change out any or all the veggies that you want and they will still eat it!



Other veggies I will add: radishes, cauliflower, brussell sprouts, all types of summer squashes and winter squashes and pumpkin, turnip, beets, rutabagas,tomatoes in small amounts, kohlrabi, green beans, sugar snap peas, snow peas, all types of cabbages, eggplants.

Other leafy greens I will add: spinach, beet greens, collard greens, mustard greens, romaine, leafy green lettuce, arugula, baby spring mix, carrot tops, dandelion greens.

Other fresh herbs I will add: basil, thyme, cilantro, parsley, oregano.

Other supplements I will add: missing link avian, flax seed, bee pollen, kelp.

I also cook big pots of different types of whole grains, spices and beans/lentils, etc. I freeze that seperately so I can mix and match with the veggie mash.

And I add fruit fresh to each meal each day- Tonka gets a decent amount of fruit, but Perry gets much less, and Violet gets none! So I find it easier to add to each meal. This way I can also change the fruit type each day. I feed alot of berries- blue, black, straw and raspberries, and tropical fruits like pineapple, mango, guava, starfruit, etc. I feed pomegranite seeds on a regular basis as well- freeezing big bags of the seeds when they are in season so I can feed year round. I also feed citrus fruits occasionally- all kinds- lemon, lime, orange, grapefruit, etc. Apples, grapes, etc I feel are too high in sugar but not as high in nutrients so I only feed them as treats. Tonka is allowed more of these since she burns the calories faster! :)

4 comments:

  1. Wow, great stuff! I've got to try your method, as cutting up my flocks stuff every morning is time consuming. I like the idea of keeping the grains/beans separate from the veggies. Also, I like the mash idea. My grey is not fond of uncooked veggies or greens, so maybe the cooked mash would work well.

    I'm going to print out your page, if that's ok, and take it to the market with me. I like learning what herbs are safe for birds. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle! Please feel free to use this info in any way that might help you!

    I don't cook my veggie mash, but sometimes microwave it to warm it up. Or I will cook it into scrambled eggs, etc. You could try lightly sauteeing in olive oil or red palm oil. If your bird likes it like that, then just takes several weeks of cooking it a little less each time, till it's not cooked at all!

    When I cook the beans and grains, I always use different combos- for example black beans and quinoa, or brown rice and lentils, or chickpeas and barley. Etc. I get bored when I feed the birds, so I figure they like variety, too. Imight do a 50/50 mix of vegggie mash and one of the bean/grain mixes. Or on a very cold morning I might do straight beans/grains, warmed in the microwave. All kinds of ways to serve it, and still know the birds are getting good nutrition!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I found you on Avian Avenue. Thank you so much for sharing your foraging routines. I recently started my three parrots (TAG, BE2, Ekkie) on foraging. They are doing really good, my ekkie can do it but is a little more stubborn.

    My ekkie especially needs primarily fresh food that comes in the form of a mash. How do you incorporate a fresh mash into your foraging? Thank you, Page

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Page, welcome!

    To be honest, I don't always do much foraging with their fresh foods, since they forage for pretty much every thing else they may get. But if I DID, there are some great acrylic foraging toys that would work well, and you could just pop them into the dishwasher when you were done!
    Some examples that I would put mash in if I wanted to:

    http://www.mysafebirdstore.com/product.cgi?group=2189&product=8531

    http://www.mysafebirdstore.com/product.cgi?group=2189&product=7997

    http://www.mysafebirdstore.com/product.cgi?group=2189&product=2218

    http://www.mysafebirdstore.com/product.cgi?group=2189&product=2219

    http://www.mysafebirdstore.com/product.cgi?group=2189&product=2220

    http://www.mysafebirdstore.com/product.cgi?group=2189&product=2223

    And you can't beat good old stainless steel kabobs loaded with chunks of veggies and fruit.

    Don't forget that foraging doesn't necessarily mean it has to be HARD, it just means the bird should work for it. So a simple way to introduce mash foraging might be to separate each meal into several smaller portions and put into several bowls spaced all over the cage, so your ekkie has to go find all the bowls! :)

    ReplyDelete