Sunday, May 15, 2011

Food on a stick

Food skewers: Chunks of fruit or veggie, toys, foraging cups, etc on a skewer and given to your bird to promote foraging and good diet.

I started out with a Super Pet small animal kabob, and then purchased the Scooter Z brand stainless steel skewers, which work much better. I try to do a combination of foods that I know my birds love, and foods they may not be as excited about. I have found that it takes time for birds to become accustomed to this method of feeding. Many times in the beginning, Tonka wouldn't touch her skewers. Now she ranges from nibbling on them to completely devouring them! Just as Tonka progresses, I have to start over with Perry, who is at the stage where he might lightly nibble, at the most. But I will keep offering Perry the skewers, because I know he will learn to love them!

In additions to the fruits and veggies, I will sometimes add favored toy pieces and I will often add paper or plastic cups. In the cups I will put a sprinkle of seeds, or a nut, or pomegranite seeds, etc, for the birds to forage for. I make Tonka's more difficult by putting something over the top of the cup as a lid, that she either has lift up, or chew through- like a piece of balsa or yucca.

Some examples, starting with a year ago, roughly.




Here's an after:


After:





After:

No comments:

Post a Comment